Thursday, January 10, 2008

Got the Dream, Yeah, But Not the Guts

In October and November I performed in an amazing and hilarious show called Urinetown with Bloomington Civic, I can talk about that show later. During the run, a guy who works at the Old Log Theatre, who has now become a good friend of mine, came to see Urinetown. He picked me out of the crowd and said I should audition for the musical Forever Plaid at the Old Log as they are planning on doing the show for three months starting in mid June.

I can't tell you how excited and scared I am for this audition. The Old Log Theatre (link on the left) is a very respected and well known theatre in the twin cities, not to mention it's an equity theatre (associated with the stage actor's union). I would be doing the show full time if I got in (meaning I would have to take a leave of absence from the insurance company I currently work at) so I would get paid for this show, and I would also gain hours towards joining equity later in life.

Also, the auditions are closed, meaning that it's by invite only, and right now there are only 8 guys, including myself, being considered for the role (they only have one role to cast). I really look the role, I know I could nail the acting part... and I really think that I can sing the part well (although it will be a good challenge for me). I just have this fear of auditioning. I always get nervous and flub up and I have a tendancy to forget my words...

The auditions are later this month.

I had a dream last night though that the auditions had approached. Although the show was going to perform at the Old Log in MN, the auditions were at some place called "The Storage Room" in San Francisco. I spent the first part of the day in SF walking around, looking at the sites, photographing some female model (wtf?), and thinking I should call my friend Meghan and let her know I'm in town!

I then realized I only had 30 minutes before I had to be at the audition space and I didn't even know where it was. I somehow got in a car and I drove to the ocean and took a right, going North. I spotted the theatre, almost hit two cyclists on the road, and ended up passing my turn. I pulled into a driveway and turned around, getting stuck behind a really slow old man driver. I thought It'll be ok if I'm a little late, I had to fly to SF, they'll understand and then I woke up.

My dream had a lot more details, like what the roads looked like and the houses and the driveways and garages... my dreams are usually insanely detailed, but I don't want to bore you with all that.

I'm planning on singing either "Mooning" from Grease or "Catch a Falling Star" from Forever Plaid itself, or BOTH for the audition!

Speaking of musical dreams - this should be my motivational speach before every rehearsal. I'm strong! I've got the goal, I can do it! But then again... life didn't turn out the way she wanted... but I'm not trying to live vicariously through some children...


videos only show up on the blog site

4 comments:

Popwilleatme said...

Good luck on the audition and thanks for the link.

Unknown said...

You have to let me know how your audition goes the moment its over! Good luck, lil bro. :) I like and love you!

Jon said...

That plaque belongs there like you belong on the show.

Good luck!

(would your job really allow you to do that?)

matt said...

believe it or not, if you were actually in SF and hit the ocean and turned right you'd be way more lost than you can imagine...and that's just speculation.