Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My Head Just Starts Ringing!

****ANTM SPOILERS INCLUDED****

What else do you expect when you voluntarily faceplant yourself onto a sheet of hard plastic after falling from at least five feet of distance? You're gonna hear the bells... and let's just say they're not going to be pretty.

This week was a very fun/different episode for Next Top Model.

Usually, when the girls get down to about 6 or so, they will be flown to a foreign country, and when there's only about 5 or 4 left they'll have the girls go on go-sees. Well, there are 8 girls left, and they decided to have the girls go on go-sees already...

In past seasons the girls have always gone alone as they meet with designers, show them their portfolios, and walk for them... but this season they did it in 2 groups of 4, and it was much more structured than past seasons... where they usually say good luck, be back by [enter time here], hopefully you'll make it to a couple... they instead gave the groups one location at a time, and there was no time limit...

Whitney, Dominique, Stacey Ann, and Claire's group won the challenge and got to do a photo shoot for Seventeen Magazine as their prize.

The main photo shoot for the episode was one of my favorites in any season so far. They had the girls lay on some thick sheets of plastic, in a small puddle of water, and they photographed them from beneath.

At panel, the judge's favorite was Fatima, who took a fantastic photo, that even Tyra said looked so perfect it looked like someone drew it. Fatima said that it was because she had practiced her poses, but when Nigel asked her to show them one, she fell flat and gave them a pose reminiscent of the teapot song.

My favorite of the day was Whitney. I LOVED the emotion inside her photo, and the fact that you could see her entire body was very cool for me. The judges joked that she was a fetus, and Tyra said it looked like she was taking her first breath... I think that it's a compliment to say that though... it's evokes thought and emotion... much more than the other girls' shots I thought.

Lauren suffered in this shoot, and it resulted in a very awkward photograph that even the judges didn't like. Her awkwardness didn't show high fashion this week, and they're getting tired of her lack of self-confidence. She was in the bottom two this week... but she made the cut over miss faceplant...

...Claire. I didn't think her photo was that bad actually. I thought it was very pretty, and I actually thought the profile in the picture was very beautiful. I have seen profile shots of this girl before and her nose seemed to always take command, whereas in this shot it didn't. Her personality and carelessness seems to have been what tipped the judges against her, although they said she wasn't enough of a chameleon to be a top model... so she was sent home.

Getting down to only 7 girls... it makes me more confident in my choices of Anya and Whitney. I don't see Fatima, Dominique, or Lauren being the top model this season at all... They are actually the bottom three in my opinion for the title. I honestly think they're going to take a Caucasian this season, so that pushes Stacy Ann out of the running no matter how far she gets, although I think she would hold the title really well...

Anya has been versatile and the judges love her, not to mention she has that foreign quality to her, even though she is only from Hawaii. Her communication skills might be lacking, but she's someone unlike anybody already with the Top Model title, and that'll work in her favor.

Whitney is the fiercest plus sized model that the show has ever had. She knows her stuff, and she is showing it. The show would do well to finally have a plus-sized Top Model, and I think Whitney is a prime candidate for that.

Katarzyna is the big question mark for me. She wasn't one of my top picks from the beginning, BUT she seems to be doing spectacularly well in the competition. The judges are liking her more and more, and honestly, I think she would be a great Top Model. I'm excited to see her progress through the rest of the season.

We'll see what happens! We'll see!

1 comment:

Jon said...

Pretty good episode. I was afraid Lauren was going home. Glad she's still in it.