Monday, January 21, 2008

DoML For Short

I took the day off from work today for various reasons. Mainly, I have been on a nonstop working/rehearsing streak that I needed some time off to catch up on my sleep and have some much needed "me" time.

One of the things I worked on today while sitting in my room was a book that I have been writing for a while now. It had originally started out as an idea for a musical - but after I had written the entire first act, including lyrics and a very small amount of music, my hard drive crashed and I lost everything.

The story was fun and colorful and being it really had been the result of much scattered inspiration I wanted to keep it going. Making it into a musical though was something I had been having a lot of problems with; some of the characters are young children who have to endure painful beatings, which nobody would ever want to witness - even if staged; and lets face it, I'm just not a good composer of music. SO, I decided to adapt the concept into a book.

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a little summary of the story - keeping in mind those little paragraphs that you find on the back of a book cover, or on the inside of the flap - and to give you a more understanding of what it's about, I thought I would share it with you.

"Maddi Lavare lived in the same house in Paris her entire, miserable life. As an only child, she spent most of her youth locked up in its cellar and getting undeserved beatings by her father. It wasn’t long before the darkness, in both its literal and metaphorical senses, started affecting her mind, and Maddi soon grew to be one with the house's beautifully aged rooms and crevices. After her father died a premature death, Maddi, who was now in charge of her own path for once, kept herself shut away inside the house, hating anything and everything that lived outside of its embracing walls.

"Now, with her newly-deceased but still cherished cat, Martin; some imaginary friends from childhood who have never quite gone away, and an inheritance of two mysteriously related and incredibly snoopy children, Maddi’s place of inhabitance is starting to feel a little crowded to the middle-aged woman. As plans for a new dog park arise within the city, and the secrets of her past are revealed, everything starts crashing down around her; the bed posts, the ceiling fans, the murders and lies."

The book has a title in progress right now of "The Downfall of Maddi Lavare". I thought that maybe it was just too obvious of a choice and not inventive enough, but until I come up with something better I'm just going to stick with it.

I am currently starting my 9th chapter, and have written 81 full pages so far. It's proving to be a challenge, as sometimes I just don't have the motivation, while other times I don't have the time. It's nice to have both in this short window of opportunity - and THIS time, I'm keeping a copy of my work on a portable disk drive thing! Can't risk another crash!!!

At one point it crossed my mind to maybe write the book in french as well - just to practice my french writing skills (which need improvement) but then I thought that it would take up way too much time... who knows though.

Would you know the question "What orbits around the Earth" even if it was translated in french? I don't know what these french people are even thinking, lol.

videos only appear on the blog site

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO looking forward to your book. When can I read the transcript? Title suggestion: The Madness of Maddie Lavae (name spelled wrong I know)!

matt said...

i've really never seen anything as appalling as that video in my life.