Saturday, January 12, 2008

Fast Forward to the Gaming!

Now that I'm living at home, and I don't have too many bills, I have the opportunity of making some nice purchases that I otherwise would have to take weeks saving up for. I got paid yesterday, and it was in my plan today to go out and by an Xbox 360. I'm a gaming guy, I grew up in a neighborhood with no other kids, and while playing house with my sister was fun, I pretty much entertained myself - mostly with video games.

Being more mature, I now have many hobbies such as writing and reading and practicing tap dance that I can do by myself, but I still get the gaming itch every now and then. So, I was going to get up this morning, clean my room, and go buy an Xbox 360 along with The Orange Box set and Bioshock; however, my mood changed a little as I cleaned my room.

I like to clean with background noise/music/movies -- today it was the movie Click which had just arrived yesterday by netflix. There I was thinking, this is the perfect movie to watch while cleaning - it's a happy go lucky comedy with the amazing talents of Christopher Walken, Jennifer Coolidge, The Hoff, among others... how can I go wrong!? Well, let me tell you - this movie is depressing. It has a wonderful moral and in the end you just want to hug every living thing and family member you have, but before you get there you're dragged through the mud on an adventure filled with fun feelings such as loneliness and hopelessness.

I haven't cried cleaning my room since I was seven and in protest of obeying my mother's orders to pick up my mess. These Saturday viewings that bring up unexpected emotions/vomit have to end!

Anyway, now that I've watched the film, I am torn. Do I go buy an Xbox 360 to get instant pleasure that will eventually and rather quickly become outdated by some new gaming system? Or do I put that money towards the future down payment that I'm saving up for? It would be a nice chunk in my savings account, but then again, why should I be in such a hurry to leave? It's one of the morals of the movie to appreciate family and not try to rush through things... I mean, I should at least buy my future plasma flat screen before I move out and have no extra money until I retire! It's only logical. I don't want to be stuck with a super old tv and no Xbox 360 forever!

I think this one is settled. I can buy the gaming system, and if I ever feel bad I just won't play it, and instead I'll spend very good quality time appreciating my family. That sounds like a good plan, Stan! Thank you blog and the movie Click for helping me sort out my priorities!

I found this clip of a casting shoot for an Xbox 360 ad, pun intended... (you can see the finished ad in the clip's menu - it ended up being banned from tv) makes sense... don't worry mom, I'm not going to have these tendencies after playing.


videos only show up on the blog site

3 comments:

Jon said...

Don't do it. Delay the gratification. I've wanted to get a big flat screen tv for some time, but I want to wait until I actually have a place where I can keep it. And, I want a Wii, but I don't own a tv to play it on. :)

Brent said...

I could definitely tell when I saw previews for that movie that it would make me ball my eyes out. I should've warned you! I'm pretty sure that I can honestly say that I love the gaming systems as much as any other, but I only have a playstation 2...my parents did not let me get one, and apparently, that has stuck with me. anyway, if you get the xbox 360...you should have me over and play! next time i'm in minnetonka, i'll make sure i'm closer to your house

Robbie said...

I did get it! :) I walked in, and got the second to last one in stock, the guy behind me got the last one - it was fate!