Friday, January 11, 2008

There Are A Lot of Lights, When You're Not Looking at the Sun

Call me slow, but you know what I just realized a little earlier today? The background to my blog - which is one of the blogger-created layouts - in my opinion looks like the many lights on the set of the Larry King Live Show.

There are two tv's in the lobby of the Bloomington City Hall - which is where Bloomington Civic Theatre performs and where I've been rehearsing for The Fantasticks - and it's always turned to CNN. During our break today I went out to the Lobby, and saw that the Larry King Live Show was on. The backdrop on his set is a bunch of small colored lights (mainly blue) that create the shape of the continents. Maybe that was Blogger's inspiration... I just never thought of it until I saw it.

ANYWAY, I was thinking about what to possibly write about in tomorrow's (today's) blog last night as I was laying in bed, and my mind wandered to things that go bump in the night... Well, I used to be scared of the dark to the point where I would NOT allow myself to sleep in a pitch black room - I didn't like the time it took for my eyes to adjust. My thoughts would always go to the scene in Silence of The Lambs when Anthony Hopkins is watching Jodie Foster through night vision goggles in the basement. I was too creeped out in thinking that some cannibal was looking at me clear as day only a foot or so away from my face when I couldn't see him at all... what would that fear be called? Also, for some reason I used to be scared of closing the door at night.

Now, I not only sleep with my door closed, which is best if there's a fire, but I sleep in pitch black too. I always check my closet before bed, so that doesn't scare me anymore, and I just realized that I feel SO comfortable in my bed now. I looked outside and wished to see a UFO when before I would have freaked out.

Speaking of which - I swear to the heavens that I once saw a UFO in the sky. I was laying in bed, looking out my window, when I saw a star zig zag through the sky. It wasn't a satellite, it wasn't a meteor, it ZIG ZAGGED! I freaked out. Also, I once freaked myself out by reading a couple UFO books I got from the library. Why I read those stories I will never know... but recently I noticed that I don't get scared about that stuff anymore - and it's because I feel so safe. It's nice to feel that way.

I've been kind of out of touch with my comedic writing skills lately - so I apologize if my posts have been boring recently :P It'll be back shortly :)

I'll now leave you with a video of the very Larry King Live Show I was talking about earlier - and it just so happened that this one is about UFOs! It's kind of humorous. My favorite quote is Buzz Aldrin (on one of his many tangents) saying "It's gonna occupy a lot of our time trying to explain what's going on" while occupying a lot of our time trying to explain that he saw a UFO while flying to the moon...


videos only show up on the blog site

2 comments:

matt said...

i'm gonna say he's crazy...

Brent said...

ok, so i used to be so afraid of the drk that i would turn the light off, then have to turn it back on again before to make sure nothing was there. As I grew older, I would time it and try to increase the time interval. I would seriously sweat counting trying to hold out. Now I can't sleep with a light ON...i don't remember when the transition happened. I think it's when I moved from the basement to my upstairs.