Monday, January 7, 2008

Luck in a Fruit Chew

We have a convenient store here at work. If you want to use a debit card to buy anything there you have to purchase at least 4.00 worth of items, which usually isn't a difficult thing for me, but today I hade some trouble. Most of the time I'll buy a sandwich or a box of two hotpockets along with a pop and maybe some chips and I'm set! Other times I'll simply avoid the limit by having cash on me. Today, I didn't want to deduct 20.00 from my checking account just to get a soda (which is all I needed), and I only had one dollar in my pocket (which with tax isn't enough to buy my oh-so-loved diet doctor pepper), so I had to use my card.


I didn't want to buy anything at this store that I could get from the vending machine upstairs; I could use my 1 dollar bill for that if need be, and plus it was cheaper from the machine. I didn't want to buy a bunch of little things like 10 cent chocolates, and I wasn't in the mood for Dorito's or Gardettos today. I spotted a bag of cheesy popcorn and immediately picked it up. Cheesy popcorn is so good and addicting - so I couldn't resist. It was only 2.00 - I only needed 75 cents more. I grabbed a stick of candy that I hadn't had before, called a Mamba, and walked to the cash register.

There's two main ladies who work at this store. They're both elderly. One is sweet and kind and says "thank you" and "have a great day". The other is bitter, never smiles, and always looks at you with this death stare and asks "Wanna sack?". Thankfully I had the nice lady today, and shortly my card had been swiped and I was walking out with my sack of new goodies.

Question to you: Have you ever had a Mamba? It's a fruit chew, like a starburst... but it's much more fun - sorry starburst. There are a few reasons I say this. The first and biggest reason is that it's like a chance game. Before I opened the package I saw that Mamba had four flavors: strawberry, orange, lemon and raspberry... mmm fruity! When I opened the wrapping though, I only had three smaller packages... strawberry, raspberry, and lemon.

Knock knock
Who's there?
Orange.
Orange who?

Where was my orange Mamba? The package offered me four flavors, including Orange. I didn't see anything saying "Only three flavors in package". There is a "selected from" message, but it didn't tell me I wouldn't get orange!

Instead of being discouraged though... I realized that this could be a fun game to play! Which flavor isn't going to be in my stick of candy today!?

"Hmmm, I'll wager three of my potential lemon Mambas, for two of your potential strawberry and one of your potential orange Mambas, that I won't have raspberry Mamba today"
"YOU'RE ON BUDDY!"

I mean, how fun is that? With my luck though I would always be wrong. I'm taken back to elementary school, when they handed out those cups of popcorn as a treat. We all know now that I love the cheesy kind... well, everyone else always seemed to get 80% cheesy and 15% caramel and only 5% salted. I would always get 90% salted, 9% caramel, and one or two cheesy kernels.

So, I probably shouldn't test my luck with Mambas.

The second reason Mambas rock - this is more sarcastic than anything - is when you open up one of the flavor packages, you get six fruit chews... each in ANOTHER wrapper. So, if I wanted to eat one fruit chew in the store after I bought it... I would have to unwrap three things... eat that, Starburst!

Reason number 3 - they're delish. MmmmmmmMamba! I feel I should get paid for this voluntarily blatant Mamba advertising. If only life was so simple. *shrugs*
So I know they're different, but remember this fun little ditty? I suggest watching it with a stick of fruit chews, it makes it that much more fun.


videos only appear on the actual blog site

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hate that that mambo #5 song has my name in it.

matt said...

indeedy love mamba, but they don't have in canoodia :(

Brent said...

Um, yum. I love me some mambas. I used to get them when I went to basketball games, and I loved them because they could take me the whole game to eat. I especially loved the Rasberry and Strawberry ones, but it is quite rare that if you get those two together, that you will get orange...and i do not love the lime...i do not.

Anonymous said...

Only you can make buying and eating mambas an adventure! You crack me up :-)

bob said...

Mambo #5 is one of the greatest songs ever. period.