Sunday, February 3, 2008

Are You Happy? - Pursuit of Happyness Review

I've had 'The Pursuit of Happyness' from netflix for a few days now. I'm usually pretty fast about turning a movie around once I get it, but I wanted to wait for the right time to watch this one. I didn't want it to be in the evening, as I predicted that I would be somewhat depressed while watching the movie and I didn't want to go to bed in a state such as depression.

So, when I woke up today and had about 2 and a half hours before I needed to leave for my Sunday matinee, I thought I'd risk spending the majority of that time watching the movie.

I have to say it was a risk well taken. There are a lot of great lessons in this movie and in the end I wasn't nearly as depressed as I thought I was going to be! There are indeed some tear jerking moments, but in the end I was more filled with unseen motivations and hope than I had thought. Plus there was a good deal of unexpected, yet very slight, bits of humor scattered throughout the movie which were definitely welcomed.

I won't go into much detail about what the story is about - I'll leave the video below to give you a peak - so instead I'll go into what this movie, to me, is trying to say in the telling of that story.

Never give up. No matter what your dream is, no matter how many times you are told 'no', just stick to it. You never know how fate will intervene, whether bringing something you've lost back to you - be it a relationship, a state of mind, a bone density scanner - or bringing you something new - sending you a couple of boats while you're stranded at sea; the trouble being you have to recognize these boats and not let them pass you by.

Don't fret about things that you ultimately can't control. Too many people these days think anger can turn the tide in their favor, but it's not a tool one should try to use often as it doesn't work too well and plus, it's just not healthy. In times where you do have control, pick your battles wisely; do what you must, but keep to your morals.

Ultimately, be appreciative, and happiness will be just around the corner. Make the most of your situation, love those near you, and consciously look for the good in everything even if it sometimes seems impossible. I've had times where I've been down about certain situations before, and I try to make a list of all things good in that area or even another area of my life, just to remind myself that I do have very valuable things that are mine and make my life special. It does work, for me at least.

Anyway, the story is the movie - it's not about special effects, or costumes, or cinematography - it's the story. So while I don't have much to really say in review about the movie itself (since I'm not going to summarize the plot, as I won't really do it justice) I do want to say this - if you find the right time, and you're up for a good story, and are willing to be patient for a couple of slow moments, watch this movie. Sometimes you need to experience things to truly get the message, as simply reading a blog or an official review won't be enough. You might watch this movie and say, "it was shit," but after all, this is my review, and I say it was worth the while!


videos only appear on the blog site

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your review. This makes me want to see the movie and really be reminded of all that I have to be grateful for. Bravo!