Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Book!... I mean The Movie! - Spiderwick Chronicles Review

After going to a candle party on Sunday - who knew you should burn three wicks at a minimum of 6 hours a session? - a couple of Robbies and I went to the movie 'Spiderwick Chronicles'.

The story is about a secret fairy/demon world that lives within the very nature that surrounds us, and a guide to that world that took a man's entire life to research and create. When finding the book, a couple of children become the protectors of its pages; their task being to keep it away from an ogre leader of the demon world who wants its knowledge to destroy all other life on Earth.

The movie was very adventurous and fun, but I was left wanting more. I felt that the movie was all about keeping the secrets of the hidden magic world; even from us viewers. I thought that the creatures were very creative and fun, but overall it only skimmed the surface of its overall potential.

In a way it's a compliment to the movie. I liked the ideas, but you could tell that it had been a book prior to its movie debut, and that it's unfinished feel was just due to the editing, I just hope there's some kind of sequel somehow so I can get more, as I don't see myself reading the actual book anytime soon.

Another interesting fact, this movie did actually creep me out a few times, which is always fun in my opinion.

I do recommend the movie to anyone who likes family/fantasy/adventure films.

videos only appear on blog site

1 comment:

Jon said...

I'm not sure I have any interest in this movie. Glad you liked it. :)