Friday, February 1, 2008

It Was Only A Dream...

This will be a fairly long post... with no pictures or videos. I had a dream last night that shook me so hard that when I woke up I got out of bed, wrapped a blanket around myself, and just had to walk around... It was very vivid, and I will try to explain it to my best abilities.

Alright, this was my dream...

In the beginning, I dreamt that I was just waking up for the day. I got out of my bed, walked out into the hallway upstairs, and before I knew it I had this very abrupt, very exciting idea: a new bedroom. I remembered, a false memory as is usual in a dream, that my parents had moved their bedroom from the south-east bedroom on the second level to the south-west bedroom a long while ago.

In reality the "south-east bedroom" is actually a regular sized bathroom, but as I walked into it in my dream it was a very large bedroom. It stretched out onto the roof of the living room downstairs, and had a sliding glass door that led out onto a balcony, through which the morning sun was shining. There were large windows facing south that looked out over the back yard.

Just so you understand why I would want to move into this bedroom, I have too much big furniture for the size of my room which inevitibly creates a rather cramped feeling. This room was much bigger than my current bedroom, and maybe I could even fit my sectional couch in it!

I hurriedly ran downstairs, desperate to find someone. Blurry transition to a golf course where I'm driving around the parking lot trying to find a space. Somehow I knew that my parents were at this golf course, and only my dad would be able to give the go ahead for me to move into the south-east bedroom.

It was very busy, and there wasn't a spot that I could find, but I did see my dad close by. I pulled up onto the grass next to him. It was very thick grass here, and appeared to have not been mowed in a short while. I noticed a man just a few feet in front of me getting ready to putt into the bottom of a circular podium next to my car.

"Am I on the course? I should find a different place to park."
"It's ok," said my dad. "I'll get an extra ball if you join the game."
"Where's mom?" I randomly asked.
"Oh, she went back home. She said that she had had a very weird encounter with some old guy and was pretty shaken."

Without really noticing, I was suddenly standing outside. My car was gone, but I didn't pay attention to it, just like I passed over my dad's last statement and moved on to the reason why I was there.

"Dad, I just had an idea when I woke up today. Now, you know how my room faces north-west and I don't get much sun shining in it, especially in the winter... and you know how it's fairly cramped because I have so much large furniture... well I thought that maybe I could move into your and mom's bedroom."

I had meant to say 'former bedroom', but somehow I missed the former. Just as I asked this, I remembered the reality of the south-east room, that it was in all actuality a bathroom, and then I realized what I had just asked my dad, which now seemed completely pathetic. I was embarassed like no other.

"That sounds like a great idea!" He said.
"What??"
"You can move into our bedroom, sure! Your mom and I will just move to The Bahamas!" He laughed aloud at his joke. My embarassment sunk even further. I love my dad but I'm not a big fan of his humor sometimes, especially when it's at my expense.

Completely overreacting I interrupted his chortling with a very stern "Fuck you!" and hurried away into the parking lot. As I was walking away, my mind registered that my car had disappeared. Had I moved it to an actual parking space? I couldn't remember. Crap! And, I had just stormed away from my dad in a protest... if I have to make a U-turn now and head back near him to get my car I will look like a complete dumbass, not to mention the strength behind my message to him will be lost while we both concentrate on my stupid choice of direction.

For those of you who don't know me too well - I over-analyze everything, maybe that's why my dreams are always so vivid - anyway!

After I walked a good 60 feet or so I turn around to look for my car. As I'm looking around I see a van facing me. It is completely dark inside except for a white hand, bright from the sun's rays, that's being held out over the dashboard, waving. I walk closer to the van, and I notice it's my mother. She has a petrified look on her face; her eyes are wide, and her lips are parted. I can see she's clenching her teeth. Some mumbled garble is emitted from her throat, as she tries to repeat her encounter with some creepy, old man.

"He had is windows up, they were tinted."

"Oh mom! It's ok!" I rush over to the passenger's side door. All of a sudden I have a bag with me, and I toss it through the open window and onto the seat.

"The side door." She says as she motions behind her.

My mom suffered from a syndrome called 'guillain barre' or 'French Polio' in lamens terms which deals with the nervous system and results in severe paralysis and sometimes death if not treated. One can make a full recovery, if treated correctly. She got it when I was little, about seven, and there were many hard times that we all had to face as she recovered. It's an entirely different story for another time, but to sum it up, the doctor my mom had orginally been seeing for recovery was performing malpractice on the case for a lengthy time. Because of it my mom now has permanent nerve damage in her legs and hands. My mom and I are extremely close, and I can only say that while guillain barre weakened her physical structure it only strengthened our bond. I love her with all my heart, along with my sister and dad, and they are honestly my best friends as an added bonus to being my family.

So, as you might suspect, I hated seeing my mother in such a panicked state. I walked around the car to the sliding side door of the van. My mother had crawled into the back seat and I was looking forward to giving her a big hug and raising her spirits. As I got to the door though and my mom was completing her trip, I noticed an arm coming up from behind the back seat. My mom was blocking most of my view of the man as he crawled over the seat.

"MOM! It's him!" I yelled as I grabbed onto my mom's arm. He grabbed my mom's waist and started pulling her out of the van's sliding door on the opposite side. I took my hand and tried scratching at his face. He had orange age-spots all over his forehead. Somehow he was very strong, and if we were arm wrestling I would be at the part where I'm fighting for my life just inches above the surface. I looked around for my dad. I saw a lot of peolpe walking on the edge of the parking lot. There were a lot of white polos, but no Dad.

I went to yell, but there was no sound.

I woke up, it was about 7:20 am. I immediately grabbed my blanket and went into my parent's south-west bedroom, next to the south-east bathroom, to see if I could catch my mom before she had gone to work - my dad was there, but my mom had already left.

I laid back down in my bed. I had this strange remorse for waking up and leaving my mom in the dream. I still feel like a part of her is being abducted by this strange man in some dream reality somewhere and I left when I woke up. I've been having a very strange, slow-moving morning since... the dream was just so realistic and painful.

It's my break now. I'm going to call my mom. I miss her.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm alive and well honey! Don't feel bad about "leaving me" in your dream, the adrenaline kicked in, I whooped his ass, scratched his orange age spots to bleeding and until he begged for mercy, went home, showered, ate a bagel and came to work fresh as a daisy :-)I think Dad finished his golf round with a score of 68 on 18! AMAZING!!

Robbie said...

Lol. Thank you :) My mind by itself wasn't able to finish that in a positive way. Love you!

Jon said...

That's a crazy dream. Glad to hear your mom beat the guy down.

Anonymous said...

Im one of your best friends?! Thanks Rob! :) Like and love you. Now when are you coming to visit?

Robbie said...

of course you are, Rosie!!! sheesh! :P I need to focus on keeping my job first before I make any plans... I want to come down soon though :) Love you too!