Saturday, February 9, 2008

Oh Shit! - Transformers 1986 & 2007 Movie Reviews

Last week I got Transformers from Netflix and in my excitement I put it in the DVD right away to find out that it was actually the animated movie version of the Saturday morning cartoon made back in 1986.

I immediately went on to Netflix to verify my error in movie selection, and also to make sure the RIGHT movie was sent to me in my next shipment. Regardless I watched the movie I had received anyway.

The Animated Movie was a lot of fun. The ENTIRE movie was underscored with brilliant 80's music, and had amazing cartoon graphics... The storyline was pretty typical in the beginning, the Autobots facing off against the Decepticons, until a Transformer shaped as a planet, and as big as one, starts traveling through the Universe, eating up planets and moons on its way to get the Autobot Matrix of Leadership concealed in Optimus Prime's chest.

There were a lot of really humorous parts of the movie, including the random dialogue, and even some of the concepts of the robots themselves caused me to laugh. I was surprised by both of those elements every now and then. Some of the main robots, that even appear in the 2007 movie, were killed off in this version, and at one point one of them even said "OH SHIT!" I had to rewind a little to make sure I heard the swear word correctly in this 80's children's animated movie.

I had a favorite character on both of the sides... First, is the purple robot on the Decepticon's side that turns into a large space-flying choo-choo train that all of the Decepticon's fly inside... I thought that was kind of funny. Second, is the 'hero' of the movie, Hot Rod; the pink, flaming Autobot best-friend to the only real human boy character in the entire film.

Go Hot Rod!

I was glad that I made the mistake and got this movie, it was a fun flash back to my early, early childhood.



Then, this week I got the recent Transformers movie made last year, and watched it this morning as I cleaned, and to put it very simply - I loved it! It was just as witty as the 1986 movie, and it had evolved well with modern technology. The computer graphics in the movie were amazing, and incredibly detailed, and the creativity was great. They utilized all the possibilities of the Transformers in every way - action, comedy, car races, and the plot was very detailed and never boring.

They incorporated a lot of human characters, which I enjoyed, and I thought it was great how each and every one of them were kooky in their own way. There were great cameos by Bernie Mac, John Turturro, Julie White, among many others - and even though there were a crazy amount of characters and interwoven plotlines with the Witwicky family, the High-schoolers in the FBI, and lovely Josh Duhamel's squad, it was all seperated out nicely and was easy to follow and understand.

Yes... very lovely indeed...

Sadly, Hot Rod didn't make an appearance - and neither did Astro Train - but it was a great movie all around. I kind of want to buy it now...

2 comments:

Jon said...

In talking with you, I thought you didn't like the "original" Transformers. Hmmm.

In regards to the recent movie: I really liked it. The action was great, the dialogue was horrible. But worth buying. Which I did. :)

Robbie said...

When I first found out that I had requested the animated movie I wasn't going to watch it, and I was super bummed as I was having a bad day at the time anyway - but I decided to see what it was all about before I called it crap or sent it back, and I thought it was funny and random.