Saturday, March 8, 2008

Summer of 42!

I saw the show Summer of '42 at Minneapolis Musical Theatre tonight, as a few of my theatre friends were in it, and I also just wanted to find out what the musical was all about.

My goodness, I have never seen a show that appeared so innocent come across so sexual! There's a song all about rubbers ("different people fill them with different things"), and another about groping breasts at the movies. It was very well done though, and had a lot of humor and fun talent.

It was performed in a small theatre on the second floor of Hennepin Stages, and so it was done without mics. Now, when you add a small band to that mix, it can make it hard to hear the singers. One in particular, the lead male, I could barely hear at all. He didn't project like all the rest, and it drowned out the lyrics and the tune half of the time.

The rest of the cast did great, sang out, and fit their characters well. I enjoyed the show, but I'm not going out to buy the cd or pitch it to a theatre to do in a coming up season though. The cast did great, but sometimes the show itself just lacked, and I hate to say it, but I didn't really care for the ending. It's got that wonderful circular narrative going for it, but just before that, it all turns really awkward.

awkward!

videos only appear on the blog site

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm sure it's not the actors fault they don't have mics or you couldn't hear the lead. i saw the show and heard him just fine. sure mics would have been better but they are working with what they got.

Robbie said...

I did Cabaret in a black box that was smaller than that theatre, with a 4 piece band, so yes I know what you mean. However, one of the first things an actor is taught is projection. EVEN when you have a mic you have to project. I was just making the comment that there were frequent moments in the show where I couldn't hear the one person - sitting towards the back that I was - but I'm sure the people in the front could hear him fine. Everyone else projected towards the back of the house. Simply an observation.